Sunday, August 26, 2007

Long Weekends with my Family

It is 3 am. I can't sleep. Don't worry, this is not because of coffee. I miss my family back home. I wonder what they are doing now. Hmmmm... I could almost smell Dhang's BBQ, sing along with Erick's guitar practices, and hear Kuy's funny remarks to annoy Maica. Today is a holiday in the Philippines, and it is just a perfect time to be with our families.

When I was still a kid, my parents always looked forward to these 'long weekends' because they mean going out of town. Back then, I and my siblings dreaded our trips because we wanted to spend our holidays with our friends. I remember we would sing our favorite tunes and spoil ourselves with unlimited supply of junk to enliven the long drive. I'm so glad our parents insisted because I would not have anything wonderful to recall now if they didn't. We usually had a good time in the end anyway. Now I understand how important great memories with one's family are. They give you a sense of belongingness and appreciation for the relationships that had been built.

As the old saying goes, "There is no place like home."

1 comment:

russ said...

i totally agree. there's no place like home. :)